Author Topic: Flint Walling - Curved Sections  (Read 1974 times)

Alan Sargent

Flint Walling - Curved Sections
« on: April 13, 2015, 10:40:56 pm »
FLINT WALLING – CURVED SECTIONS

Following the previous article showing my construction techniques to ensure accurate levels and verticals without constant recourse to using a spirit level, these photos show my method of creating a curved section of flint walling using brick piers and coping, also using wooden profiles.

Using 50mm x 50mm sawn timber, all cuts should be made with a ‘chop saw’ for accuracy across the grain to avoid misalignment and twisting when tightening screws during the construction of the predictor cladding, and to make it easier to prefabricate each section without assistance. Each predictor is built with the desired distance between each leg (in the case, 33cm), with the length being dictated by the ground levels and height of the wall build.

Having constructed the internal wall or ‘hearting’ using 100mm solid concrete blocks with stainless steel ties linking one side to the other, the individual sections of predictor are held in place with the two upper linking cross members and two appropriate lengths of timber wedged firmly in between the upright legs and the internal wall, one per side. Once these has been proven upright and secured, additional cross timbers may be screwed to the top and bottom of the uprights, providing the builder with a ‘cage’ within which the flint walling may be built without the need for a spirit level or any other kind of reference, as the whole face has been accurately set out.

The four metre (4 x 1m approx.) section shown was built in two days by myself and a labourer, fair face both sides, with each side being built half way upwards on two separate days. (Eight square metres plus in total) This rate of construction would be very difficult without using the timber profile (which took around four hours to erect), as the vertical slats also aid the laying process by holding the flints in place during mortar drying periods.

The wall construction methods are described in the original Flint Walling article recently posted, and the finished work photos show the capping method using a single layer of slate, capped with 33cm (brick and a half) coping.

The built time for the full eleven metre wall, from foundations to completion was ten days, or twenty ‘man’ days, myself plus one labourer, fair face/matching work both sides, including two wet days when we moved under the shelter previously shown.

Please bear in mind that this technique is for this particular style of flint walling, although it may be adapted to others, including coursed layers of stone or less random patterns than that chosen by this particular client, simply by ensuring that cross members are screwed to the upright ‘legs’ for accuracy when building each row of stones.